Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Out of my car report

Driving report for June 25:
  • 21 miles driven (to SeaTac and back)
  • One car trip
I said I was going to begin my get out of my car effort with a car trip, and fair things being fair, I'll own those miles. I drove my mom and Jim to SeaTac with a side trip to Burien for a drive by of the clinic I'll be working at starting in August. Drove straight home, parked, and did the rest of my commute on my bike.

I rode from home in the south Central District to Fremont, then to REI, then back home. Among the things I got at REI were a new helmet I got at REI Outlet and had sent there (free shipping) and a helmet-mounted mirror, which was awkward to use, but seems like it will be helpful in the busy Seattle streets.

The weather could not have been better for biking.

I'll keep reporting on my driving behavior for a while, since it seems like it will help me own driving as a conscious choice (I almost always have a choice). I think it's useful to track number of trips, too, since many of the impromptu trips I make (for groceries, cat food, children's tylenol...) are both annoying and avoidable. If I can consolidate trips, I will.

Tomorrow appears well-suited to bicycling. I can take the girls to daycare in the Burley and zip past downtown traffic on my way home from clinic in the afternoon.