Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Park close to home to shut down for July 4

Reported yesterday in the Rainier Valley News, one of my favorite neighborhood blogs, Sam Smith Park (the I-90 lid park) will close mid-afternoon of July 4 for safety reasons. To quote the Post:
The same goes for Sam Smith Park - the largest and most central part of the I-90 lid, which ironically enough, is home to the Urban Peace Circle, a sculpture by Seattle sculptor Gerard Tsutakawa that was dedicated to children killed by gun violence in Seattle’s inner city.
I guess that's a good--if sad--thing: the park is regularly a mess after July 4, with fireworks strewn everywhere. But will the fireworks--and the people who light them--just disappear? Where will they go? Other parks. Parking lots. Streets.


View Larger Map

I guess we should be happy the city is looking out for our safety. We'll see what kind of impact it has on the neighborhood. There's a lot of good discussion on the park closures on the RVP's site.