Sunday, February 25, 2007

Galaxie

I have two daughters, ages 2 years and 2 months. Brooke and I live in moderate-to-serious chaos most of the time. When Zoë (2 years) was born, our social lives sort of disappeared, as did pursuit of things like exercise, backcountry travel, and consistent sleep. We got some of that back over two years, then it all went to hell again when charming Elliott appeared on the scene last December. Two years ago I would say to close friends, "I just want some tiny piece of my life back." This time around I don't entertain that same wild idea. No desire, no suffering.

And then yesterday, out of nowhere, this great experience came up. The four of us headed out on Saturday morning to the Galaxie café, a Beacon Hill coffee shop opened recently by our neighbors, Yen and Jeff. The place is great! It was quite lively, good coffee, pastries. The sandwich menu looked fantastic. But don't take my word for it, read the P-I review. There were also a bunch of kids there, and Zoë had a great time with the other kids and toys.

The interior walls are decorated in Beacon Hill murals, and the entire south wall is a building-by-building map of the neighborhood. Local customers can put a pin in their house--and there are quite a few pins. We called our friends, Sachi and Travis, to walk down and join us. They did, but I don't think they put a pin up. Next time, perhaps.

Best of all, it was a chance to do something social--in public--as a family. Brooke and I never really got to hang out in cafes much together before we had kids, which I kind of regretted. Now we can. And we'll be back there next weekend.