Tuesday, July 03, 2007

What did YOU do this morning?

So this was my morning. Two months ago I chipped my front tooth on a piece of mango and have been waiting ever since for the pleasure of an hour tilted back in a dentist's chair, blood pooling in my head, jaw cranked open and secured with a bite block, and a large rubber face condom attached I-don't-know-how to several of my teeth. I was like this for a while, looking out the skylight at...sky. I was sure my jaw had become unhinged and I'd have to spend the rest of the day waiting for an ER doc to give me enough ativan to manipulate it back into its proper place. I dodged that, but twelve hours later my jaw is still killing me.

The day got better. I went from the place of suffering to my clinic to work on a giant stack of charts that needed tending. For about two hours my face continued to be totally numb (I had some fillings replaced too), and I was sure that I was drooling like an idiot while I worked out care plans for patients from the day before.

I spent the early part of this Tuesday afternoon in a weekly lunch meeting, followed by a discussion with classmates outside by the Seattle U fountain. It was a bright, sunny, warm day and I could once again feel my face. Just when I thought things couldn't get any better, they did. Our afternoon didatic session go canceled due to who-cares-why and I was sprung. I took advantage of this found time by going for an hour-long run on Lake Washington.

Tonight we had some friends over for dinner out on the driveway patio. I'm starting to embrace the driveway more as a legitimate outdoor pastime. We still need plants out there, but I like it.

I'm headed for bed and a gram of tylenol. Reveille at 0530, I'm sure.