Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Vacation

I'm off work this week. It's good. We thought about going away for a few days, renting a cottage on Whidbey Island or Hood Canal. That would be good fun, if it weren't for Zoë and Elliott and their dueling sleep schedules...well, their awake schedules, I should say. It's bloody exhausting. Weekends turn out to be pretty hard, and three days in a cottage, even in a lovely setting and even with a hot tub, would have been less like a vacation than like work. The alternative was to stay in Seattle, send Zoë off to day care in the morning, and enjoy life with one very portable infant. We can take naps, write, go for walks, get massages, all thanks to the happy two-parent-to-one-child ratio we used to think was so hard. Yesterday we called Sam to babysit for the afternoon, then headed out for lunch at High Spot and a walk. No nap.

Last night, we gave Elliott a bath, which I videotaped and and might post if Brooke can get over thinking our children will end up like the Star Wars kid or that poor Numa Numa Dance fellow. I don't see it happening with the bath video, but maybe with Zoë's "Shake Your Booty" song.

Also last night we completed season five of 24. I love the series, and season five was great, especially Gregory Itzin and Jean Smart as the president and first lady. I've now seen the whole thing through last season, and haven't a clue what has happened this season. I'm pretty sad to read that Melanie McFarland, the most trusted hairdo in TV reviewing, isn't "feeling it anymore." It will be a while before I can start in on season six. What'll we watch next? Back to Entourage, perhaps, so I can dream of being a movie star.

This morning I got in a good long walk with Yagi. Through the I-90 walking tunnel, down to the lake, and along the water while Yagi swam and carried big sticks. I'm off now for a haircut, then to pick up Zoë. Again, no nap. What the hell is going on here?

It's a nice pace. Next time maybe we'll go for the cottage.