Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Rambling Ambition

It's six o'clock in the morning. I've spent my morning "quiet time" working on a meeting agenda and not writing, as I'd hoped. I'm going to try to squeeze this in, though when Brooke's hairdryer goes on, that's my signal to sign off and move upstairs. Squeezing things in is how things have been, lately. Everything is manageable, but there is never quite enough time to do EVERYTHING I'd like to do. I've been learning a lot in most areas of my life: medicine, family, leading others, being efficient. But I think I trip over my ambitions. I want to be an excellent doctor, a competent leader, a thoughtful, patient, and present father and partner, and I want to do it all effortlessly.

Ha.

And I'd like to be in better physical shape at 40 than I was at 30.

The hairdryer is going.

I've been working a lot recently with methods for clarifying just what all those ambitions actually mean to me. What would it look like if I achieved all those goals? How can I plot a course from here to there? Am I already there in some respects? Is it really important to fret about it?

Am I trying to hard? As Yoda says: "There is no try, only do."

Is it wrong to look to a muppet for guidance?