Sunday, April 29, 2007

Sunday

Sunday sucks. Unless it doesn't. This one--today--is shaping up pretty well. We turned the grocery chore into a fun trip for Zoë and me, then met with Hilary, Dan, and Felix at the Mt. Baker playground. The playground became packed, so we walked down the hill to the beach and sat for a while in the sun while Felix and Zoë wandered near the water. I've never really spent much time on this beach. When the weather is beach-warm this place is packed, and we usually seek a little more space and quiet, either at the adjacent Coleman Beach or under a big, shady tree at Seward Park. But today was just almost warm, so we had the place to ourselves.

Felix and Zoë contemplate a swim

It got close to lunch-and-nap time (for everyone--maybe Sunday doesn't suck), so we walked back up the hill and headed home. Three-quarters of the humans are now up from nap and contemplating next moves. I'll take Zoë for a run past the same places we spent the morning and Brooke will take Elliott and Yagi out for a long walk, IF Elliott ever wakes up from her nap.

It is sunny and 64 degrees out.

I used to fear Sunday. The last day of the weekend. School tomorrow. I was almost never prepared for Monday, academically or emotionally. Now I quite enjoy most things about Sunday, except the endlessly-expanding white board task list dogging me. If anything on the list of chores can me made fun (like the grocery this morning with Zoë), it goes a long way to keeping my mood happy.

I've also been experimenting with a new method of checking off tasks from the white board: I erase them. You'd think a chore undone would lead to an adverse consequence. Well, no. I haven't noticed a problem yet. I'll report again later on this experiment in doing less.

Well, Elliott may be stirring now. Yes, she is. Mewling, even, so here I go, back to the day.

And my white board is mostly blank.